Spørgsmål: Hiring a non EU citizen to live in Sweden and work in Denmark

Hi, I work for a company in Copenhagen and we are considering hiring a new employee who is a British citizen and can only relocate in 2021. We would like him to work for the company in Denmark (as we do not have a Swedish office) and he would like to live with his fiance in Sweden (Malmo or Stockholm). Is this possible? If so - in which countries would he need a work visa / residence visa?


8. januar 2021


Thank you for your question.

For a non-EU citizen to live in Sweden, a person must have a permit to do so. As the person will be working in Denmark, a working visa in Sweden is not relevant in this situation. However, as his fiancé lives in Sweden it is possible for the relevant individual to apply for a residence permit to move to a partner in Sweden.

However, even though the person has a permit to live in Sweden, as a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland, the individual will not benefit from the free movement of labour to work in these countries without a work permit. Therefore, the relevant individual must also apply for a work permit that specifically allows the individual to work in Denmark when living in Sweden. Further information can be found on this website: https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-GB .

Støttes af